Monday, June 27, 2011
Meatballs on Zucchini 'Hoagies'
½ onion, diced finely1 lb Italian turkey sausage
1 lb lean ground beef
Zucchini 'Hoagie' Fritters
3 medium zucchinis, shredded
½ onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
jar marinara sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dice the onion very finely with a knife or a food processor. Mix ½ of the diced onion in with eggs, beef, and sausage.
2. Ball up and fry in a non stick pan until all sides are browned. Remove and place on a foil covered baking sheet and bake an additional 10 minutes or until cooked through.
3. For the fritters, place the second half of the diced onion in a strainer. Shred all the zucchini and put it in a strainer as well. Squeeze zucchini and onion repeatedly to remove all excess moisture. Once dry, remove from strainer.
4. In a large bowl, mix the zucchini and onion with the remaining 'hoagie' ingredients. Drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan set to medium-high heat. Spoon and shape the mixture into the pan making "hoagie" shapes. Be careful not to make them much bigger then five inches long or they may break when you try to flip them! Cook about 4-5 minutes on each side or until brown and crispy.
5. To assemble: place your 'hoagie' on a plate, spread with marinara sauce and place 3 meatballs on top of each one. Serve with additional marinara sauce.